- Buy Vs Rent Calculated Example
- Should you Buy or Rent? Pros of Owning a House
- Cons of Owning a House
Visa holders have additional considerations apart from just the financial aspect. The most important one is the length of stay – you can never guarantee that you will stay at the same place for an extended period of time. Being a calculated risk taker will ensure a financially stable and fulfilling life on an H1b visa.
Summary: Buying a Home On H1B Visa
- In general, you should be a calculated risk-taker.
- Know how much home you can afford and stick to it.
- People generally sell and move every few years to bugger home.
- Buy a starter home – start small. You can always upgrade.
- Visa will always be an issue – extension, stamping, lottery, etc.
- There are 1000’s of Homeowners on H1b Visa and maybe 100’s of homeowners on F1 Visa.
When Should You Not Buy a Home While on H1B Visa?
There are several situations when homeownership may not be right while you are on an H1B visa.
Everyone’s situation will vary. It’s tough to foresee, or if you are on the fence, reach out to me, I can share my journey and give my suggestions.
- If you are working as a consultant and you will change jobs, clients every few months
- You came for a short trip to the USA and didn’t plan to stay here longer, or employer may send you back