Documents required from the sponsor for us visa

USA Visitor Visa Sponsor Documents

Visitor visa for parents or relatives.If you are the sponsoring visitor visa for your parents or this trip is sponsored by any of your relatives, friends, certain documents are required from you.

  • Affidavit of support form for US visa. Form I-134, ( US visa sponsor form) . [Download the latest Affidavit of Support Form I-134]

    How to fill form I-134?
    – See instructions and guidelines to fill Form I-134: How to fill Affidavit of Support Form I-134
    – See a sample filled Affidavit of Support Form I-134.

  • Letter of Invitation addressed to visa applicants : for US visa(See a sample letter of invitation for visitor visa).
  • Letter to US Consulate requesting that visa be granted to the person you are sponsoring. (See a sample letter to US consulate for visitor visa).

Financial documents ( To demonstrate your financial ability as a sponsor)

  • Bank statements : Latest two bank statements.
  • Bank account verification letter to prove your bank account and bank balance (See a sample bank account verification letter for visitor visa).
  • 1 or 2 recent pay stub copies.
  • Copy of a few recent income tax returns Or last few W2 forms.( If available).
  • If you are self employed or business owner, copy of your personal tax return.

Documents required for H1b visa

Bring the Following Items to Your Visa Interview

  • Interview appointment letter from the National Visa Center (NVC).
  • Unexpired passport valid for six months beyond your intended date of entry into the United States and a photocopy of the biographic page (where your name and photo are located).
    Two color passport photographs measuring 2 inches by 2 inches (5 cm by 5 cm) with a white background.
  • Required civil documents on the list below (the original version and a photocopy), even if you submitted a photocopy to NVC. You may need to get an updated police certificate.
  • Translations of any document not written in either English or the official language of the country in which the interview will take place. Translations must be certified by a competent translator.
  • Medical exam results if the physician gives you these results. In that case, bring them to your interview in the envelope sealed by the medical office. Do not open this envelope.
  • Confirmation page from Form DS-260, Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application, that you submitted on
    Family-based visa applications:
    – A signed Affidavit of Support from your petitioner and any additional financial sponsors who submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of your visa application. Applicants may bring photocopies and scanned versions of signed Forms I-864 and associated documents. (Please note that the form must still be signed; typed names and electronic signatures will not be accepted.)
  • – Financial evidence showing your petitioner’s income, such as federal tax returns or forms W-2. If you have any additional financial sponsors, you must bring the same type of financial evidence for them, along with proof of their legal status in the United States.
  • – Proof of the U.S. petitioner’s status and domicile in the United States (photocopy of a U.S. passport, naturalization certificate, or legal permanent resident card).
  • Employment-based visa applications: A letter from your U.S. employer dated less than one month ago confirming the essential elements of the job offer.

Sponsor’s residency status in USA

  • Copy of passport..
  • Letter of employment (if the sponsor is an employee in USA). See a sample letter : Employment verification letter).
  • If you are a Visa holder Copies of your – Visa (H1/L1), H1 Approval Form (I-797), and I-94. (If visa has expired but has a renewed petition, a photocopy of the renewed petition.)
  • If Green Card Holder: Copy of Green Card front and back.
  • If USA citizen: Copy of certificate of citizenship.

For parents visiting their children in USA, the sponsor child must also provide the following documents.

  • Birth certificate of the sponsoring child. If birth certificate not available an affidavit may be helpful. See a Sample: Affidavit for Birth Certificate
  • Copy of passport of the sponsoring child.
    Note:If you are sponsoring your in-laws, birth certificate and passport(all pages) copies are required for the child of the visa applicant, i.e. your spouse).

FAQ for the Sponsor:

As a sponsor Do I need to send documents directly to VFS or US Consulate? Or the applicant will carry the document to the consulate at the time of interview?

As a sponsor you should send the document to the applicant, and let applicant should carry those documents to the consulate for the interview purpose.

Do I need to send separate I-134 form for each visitor?

If persons applying for Visitor Visa are husband wife and their children you don’t need to send separate forms.One from is sufficient and the same form will have space to provide their details.

For example: if you are inviting your parents(Father and Mother) or your in laws (Father in laws and Mother n laws) just one form, is sufficient.

How much minimum savings(Balance) should be good to show in my(sponsor) Bank Account?

There is no official limit or set rules for any minimum balance requirement for your bank account. Any amount that can justify the over all cost involve to support the trip and your financial ability to take care of the expenses related to trip. People’s experiences say that any amount over $5K to 10K$ should be good, More is good. Provide proof of funds for as much as possible.



What are you interested in? Explore some of the best tips from around the city from our partners and friends.